POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Life : Life Server Time
10 Aug 2024 09:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Life
From: SeeSchloss
Date: 5 Sep 2004 09:07:10
Message: <413b0f7e@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I started POVing again, and since I'm in a cellular automata period, I
implemented Conway's Game of Life in POVRay's preprocessing language,
which gives a kind of history of the 2D world :)

Everything works fine, the only problem is that I don't want to define
the initial state of the world in the script. Imagine the quantities of
lines like :
#declare world[5][5] = 1;
#declare world[5][6] = 1;
... etc :/
So, for now I initialise it randomly (the attached picture is with the
seed 1789 iirc).

Do you know if I could for example read the pixel values of a monochrome
picture which would describe the initial state of the world ? A nice
thing would be to have access to a picture like if it was an array, like
<file>[1][56], which would be an rgb vector. That would be nice wouldn't
it ?

Anyway, here's a picture of a 30x30 world, with 50 steps (you can see a
characteristic oscillator on the right) :

(ok, the environment could be improved a bit)

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'isix-0.5-640x480-2.png' (424 KB)

Preview of image 'isix-0.5-640x480-2.png'
isix-0.5-640x480-2.png